Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

MIH232 Manali-Leh Bike Ride

Tue, 05/29/2012 - 22:57

I'll get the ball rolling: I'm kinda curious as to who is who and what is what: Identify yourselves! :) Any training or gear tips?

Just posted off for my India visa today so I can have my assport back for the rest of the summer, maybe for more biking merriment.

Keeping an eye on the July thread to see if anything interesting crops up.

Tue, 05/29/2012 - 23:00

I'm also heading out a week or so earlier to visit the Taj in Agra, Jaipur and other old stones in Delhi before I start biking (At least I'll get a bit of a holiday before the hard work starts :)).

Anonymous
Mon, 06/25/2012 - 13:22

hello!

I have only recently signed up for the trip but very excited!

Cycling experience currently limited to cycling to work/a 1-day cycle around the Forest of Dean (limited hills!) and spinning classes BUT hoping excessive rowing training over the years will stand me in good stead :S

Good idea to head out earlier and see the Taj. Hope your training is going well so far- if you have any good tips, send them my way!

Anonymous
Tue, 06/26/2012 - 02:07

Hi there... or g'day in my case, as I'm coming from Australia so will probably be meeting most of you halfway, ie India. Looking forward to the trip. I've been to Leh before, though l I went in on the big metal bird not the little metal bike, so I think this will be a different and better experience... altitude permitting. It's a gorgeous area so can't wait to see it all at slow pace.

Tue, 06/26/2012 - 12:51

Hello and g'day to you both!  It's hilly enough where I live, but not exactly the Himalayas.  I've restricted myself to short hops in the hills.  Hoping the knees will hold up, but I hear there's a wonderful bus tour of the Himalayas (It is a supported tour, so at least there's an option :))

The only good tip I came across was to emulate the effects of altitude by breathing through your nose whilst training - You decide! :)  Got a bit of advice from one of the Exodus staff that has done this tour; Bring lots of layers - because the weather's pretty changeable - and hire a down sleeping mat (presumably in India rather than UK).

Anonymous
Thu, 07/12/2012 - 07:50

Hello

My husband and I have just transferred onto this trip from the Tibet cycle ride, as that one not likely to run now.

The trip looks pretty gruelling so I'd say plenty of snacks, gels and jelly babies required to keep us going!

I cycle to work a few times a week (28 mile round trip) and we get out on the bikes whenever we can. I'm expecting the hills and the altitude to be very challenging though.

We're visiting the Taj at the end of the trip.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Marina

Sun, 08/05/2012 - 21:25

So, I'm in Delhi, soaking up the ambience of stray dogs and air con (Hopefully, the other end of Karol Bagh that this side!). Anyway, see y'all in at the end of the week!

Anonymous
Mon, 08/06/2012 - 08:24

What's the weather like? :-)

Anonymous
Mon, 08/06/2012 - 09:37

I have a feeling this week at work is going to drag.... roll on thursday! :)

Anonymous
Tue, 08/07/2012 - 11:55

You shall have the pleasure of my company on this trip!

Just got back from Canoeing in Hungary, frantically unpacking, washing then packing again.

If it makes you feel better not been on my bike since May!!

Flying in from Manchester so will hopefully see you all in Dehli Airport. Also planning on going to Taj afterwards.

Mick 

Anonymous
Tue, 08/07/2012 - 13:53

...and too much packing to do!

Tue, 08/07/2012 - 18:33

Weather is hot, sticky, humid, greyish skies, a little sunshine and occasional rain. Nicer than the lousy Northern European summer of late! :).

Anonymous
Wed, 08/08/2012 - 10:24

I am not taking any medication... except chocolate, which I generally find is a useful cure for everything... :)

Anonymous
Wed, 08/08/2012 - 11:29

Very true - maybe I'll pack some Green & Black's if I can squeeze it into my already burgeoning backpack.

Anonymous
Wed, 08/08/2012 - 13:46

Yes, taking Stemil as suffered with nausea doing the Annapurna Circuit a few years ago. Was given Stemil then and it was the only thing i could do to make me able to eat! The guides should carry it though.

Marina

Anonymous
Wed, 08/08/2012 - 15:27

I'm not taking anything (might steal Emma's chocolate if I'm suffering!).

Anonymous
Wed, 08/08/2012 - 15:35

Good luck with that... I have already started eating it..!

You recently looked at